Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Oh Eleanor! '67 Shelby GT500

There is something that I absolutely love about doing personal shoots. It's oddly more satisfying than doing any magazine shoot, or editorial. There is the almost uncountable amount of planning & effort that builds up to this crescendo climax of orchestrated photography beauty that falls into place.

For myself personally, I allow myself to slip into a zone of experimentation that I would normally not do so freely on a commissioned shoot. It's amazing to experience. It's rewarding. It knows no limits, no boundaries, no rules, no objections. It happens.

Months went into planning this shoot. What did change however, is the day I laid eyes on Eleanor. Originally intended to do a Lamborghini shoot (which I STILL haven't done yet!), things changed when 41 years of rock solid motoring history stood before me. Lines that draw your eye into a near perfect shape.

Another facet which I added rather soon before shooting was a human element. Immediately there is the cliche that jumps out which is "car & girl". I wasn't going to do cliche. The '67 Shelby GT500 Mustang has a raw power which can overwhelm the senses. Yet, it also carries a very deep sensuality in its form and flow. The human element had to convey the same sensuality I saw in Eleanor.

I'll leave you with these 3 shots from the shoot. I think they convey the absolute essence of one of my favourite pieces of automotive machinery ever masterly crafted.




Credits:

Photographer: Seagram Pearce (myself)
1st Assistant: Drystan Hallas
2nd Assistant: Daniel Atkinson
Car: 1967 Shelby GT500 Mustang "Eleanor"
Model: Robyn Hobson
MUA: Ellie Du Toit
Driver: Mac Gotyana

Special Thanks:

Tim from FutureExotics - Supplying the car
Jo-Anne from GCS - Top Secret Location

1 comment:

Pseudonaja said...

The first shot is now my desktop wallpaper and shall remain my wallpaper for the foreseeable future...

Thanks for the high-res, buddy!